To be considered for the position of Special Agent, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of application, and younger than 37 upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment, to continue in the application process*.
*Applicants with Veterans' Preference must be at least 21 years of age at time of
application and younger than 40 upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment,
to continue in the application process.
- Possess a current valid driver's license.
- Possess uncorrected visual acuity of no worse than 20/100 binocular. Possess corrected visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye.*
*Lasik, ALK, RK, and PRK corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eye surgeries for Special Agent applicants. Applicants will be considered eligible for the Special Agent position provided specific visual tests are passed. The following are waiting periods for visual tests: Lasik-3 months after surgery, PRK-6 months after surgery, and ALK and RK-one year after surgery.
- Pass a hearing exam.*
*Hearing loss, as measured by an audiometer, must not exceed 25 decibels (A.S.A. or equivalent I.S.O.) in either ear in the 500, 1000, and 2000 Hz ranges.
- Have no visible body markings. The Secret Service prohibits employees from having visible body markings (including but not limited to tattoos, body art, and branding) on the head, face, neck, hand, and fingers (any area below the wrist bone). If you have visible body markings, you will be required to medically remove such visible body markings at your own expense prior to entering on duty with the Secret Service.
- Be in excellent health and physical condition and pass an Applicant Physical Abilities Test.
- Qualify for Top Secret clearance and undergo a complete background investigation, including driving record check, drug screening, medical and polygraph examinations.
- Sign a mobility agreement stating your willingness to accept assignments anywhere within the United States and overseas.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so (if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959).
- Be appointed to this position under an excepted appointment which is limited to 3 years and 120 days. Upon completion of this period, you will either be converted to career status or separated based on the expiration of the appointment.
- Carry and use a firearm.*
*Maintaining firearm proficiency is mandatory. You will be ineligible to occupy this position if at any time you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, unless you received a pardon or your conviction was expunged or set aside.
Qualify for the or the
We review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements.
If you will successfully complete a Master's or equivalent graduate degree (such as an LL.B. or J.D.) or at least two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a related field within 9 months of your application date you should apply to both the GL-07 and GL-09 grade levels. An official transcript will be required upon completion.
Qualify for the GS-11 Level:
To qualify for the GS-11 Level (Starting salary $64,009) applicants must possess one of the following:
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, or LL.M., if related;
- Have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GL-9 level which is defined as experience in, or related to planning and conducting complex criminal investigations to determine violations of Federal laws and regulations; collecting and assembling facts, bringing the investigation to a logical conclusion; gathering, analyzing, and evaluating evidence; conducts interviews and interrogations; makes arrests; conducts searches and seizures; taking responsibility for own actions and those of team members to ensure the goals and deadlines for the team are met; and, prepares comprehensive oral and written briefings for personnel inside and outside of the organization
- A combination of specialized experience, as described above, and related graduate level education, beyond the first full year of doctoral level study.